In this tutorial, I will teach you how to Fill a ComboBox with Data in VB.Net and SQL Server 2019. This method has the ability to retrieve the data in the sql server database and display it into the combobox. This is simple yet powerful method that you can do it in no time. Follow the step by step guide to know how it works.
I used Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and SQL Server 2019 to develop this program.
1. Install the MSSMS 2019 on your machine.
2. Open the MSSMS 2019 . After that, right click the database, then select “New Database” and name it “dbperson”
3. Do the following query to create a table in the database that you have created
- USE [dbperson]
- /****** Object: Table [dbo].[tblperson] Script Date: 11/10/2019 11:15:11 AM ******/
- SET ANSI_NULLS ON
- SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
- CREATE TABLE [dbo].[tblperson](
- [PersonID] [INT] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
- [Fname] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
- [Lname] [nvarchar](50) NULL
- ) ON [PRIMARY]
Open Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 and create a new windows form application for visual basic.
Add a ComboBox inside the Form. Then do the Form just like shown below.
Press F7 to open the code editor. In the code editor, add a namespace to access
SQL Server libraries.
- Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Create a connection between Visual Basic 2015 and SQL Server database. After that, declare and initialize all the classes and variables that are needed.
- Dim con As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=dbperson;trusted_connection=true;")
- Dim cmd As SqlCommand
- Dim da As SqlDataAdapter
- Dim dt As DataTable
- Dim sql As String
Create a method for filling data in the combobox in the database.
- Private Sub fillCombo(sql As String, cbo As ComboBox)
- cmd = New SqlCommand
- da = New SqlDataAdapter
- dt = New DataTable
- With cmd
- .Connection = con
- .CommandText = sql
- End With
- With da
- .SelectCommand = cmd
- End With
- cbo.DataSource = dt
- cbo.DisplayMember = dt.Columns(1).ColumnName
- cbo.ValueMember = dt.Columns(0).ColumnName
- Catch ex As Exception
- End Try
- End Sub
Write the following codes to fill data in the combobox in the first load of the form.
- Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
- sql = "SELECT * FROM tblperson"
- fillCombo(sql, ComboBox1)
- End Sub
The complete source code is included. You can download it and run it on your computer.
For any questions about this article. You can contact me @
Email – [email protected]
Mobile No. – 09305235027 – TNT
Or feel free to comment bel
Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. After downloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.
Virus note: All files are scanned once-a-day by SourceCodester.com for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them.
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.